Re: (TFT) Crunching the numbers...

David Michael Grouchy II wrote:

> >From: Thorn <edt@dopey.ne.mediaone.net>
> >
> >Excellent.  Elegant.  It involves the player far more than the rather
> >rote "roll to hit, then maybe roll damage", which almost plays itself.
>
>      It had serious limitations though.  It was great for one on one
> dueling.  TFT on the other hand lets one player play almost as many other
> characters as they wish.  With Compound dice resolution (CDR) a player
> doesn't have enough hands to play a squad of five guys.  Not only did it
> make critical hits into almost nothing, it required each player to have
> their own "color" dice.  Dice thrown would wind up intermingled, more often
> than not.
>      Of course the players did like interpreting their rolls.  Only one
> player succeeds.  The other player can stop a point of damage if they have a
> main-gauche or more with a sheild.  The player who succeed ed got, what we
> called, bragging rites.  If he had rolled highest and under his DX, he could
> embelish the description of the damage done as though he were a GM.

I hadn't realized only one person hit, that his success stopped the
others.  That, I don't like so much.  :)  What about if all involved
rolled in order of ascending DX, lowest to highest, selecting before
their roll if they will try to hit or try to parry.  (This would let you
try to parry that incoming greataxe.  You could just apply your damage
plus 'extra' points to hit against his damage, maybe.)  Once all choices
are made and rolls made, apply the results in DEX order, working
downward...

Gordo the Circus Strong man, big club, DEX 9, swings and hits PC1 for
10pts.
PC1 tries to parry, succeeds by 1, rolls 7 damage, 8 pts stopped.
(phew!)
PC2 stabs Gordo for whatever damage.  (not important, Gordo can't block)

Something like that.  What if PC2 had killed Gordo 'before' PC1 parried,
and PC1 whines about 'wasting' his action?  Tell PC1 that he saw that
big club coming, and offer to have PC2 roll again.  That will shut PC1
up.  :)

This is broken in about four places, but it's just chatter, anyway.