Re: (TFT) Converting Dungeons and Droolers...

You're right. But you can't play a Citizen and start with a Scoutship,
which seems unfair to me. Of course, you can't be a Barbarian and start
with a Scout Ship either, which seems perfectly reasonable to me, so I'll
   agree there is some grey area there...

I've just never met anyone who actually PREFERRED classes...

See,

Hang on, I'll check...nope, page 103 of the Traveller Book (the Experience
chapter) only allows you to IMPROVE existing skills - not gain new ones. Of
course, I'm sure that changed later.

Okay, point taken. You dont find yourself restricted by the particularities
of the D&D rules. I really do. I *can* imagine that, but since I pretty
much have to when I'm playing D&D there are a whole bunch of other wizard
types that I *can't* play even if I can imagine them because of the rules.

Didn't mean to. The idea was that D&D only gives you a limited number of
character types influenced by the classes and while you can create more, it
takes alot more work than your imagination.

By definition, you have learn how to 'work the rules' in order to get a
wizard with a sword.

Therefore, D&D teaches you to 'work the rules' rather than just allow you
to imagine a wizard character with  a sword. Therefore you aren't taught
how to role-play, your taught that working the rules is the only way to get
what you want out of a game.

Why? What could I possibly get from it as a roleplayer?

use it.

Your question to me about these would be?

Not when you tack on the *anyone* it doesnt. Your saying that no one can
ever be mislead about the nature of role-playing because of the structure
of the rules? Someone who learns how to role-play from Champions players
will learn the same role-playing that someone who's only played Amber will?

Someone who only playes on MUD's or Ultima-on-line is learning the same
role-playing as kids who play cops-and-robbers and gamers who play
Earthdawn?

Well, then your taking this way too personally and your also misreading
everything I've written.

In fact, I thought I'd made a point several times of saying that this
doesn't have anything to do with 'your friends'. I dont know them. If there
the exception, great!

Because D&D's a lousy rule-system for role-playing doesn't say anything
about your friends. Role-playing is not necessarily *better* than playing
D&D. I just happen to like it better that's all.

Somepeople think playing Rugby or watching TV is better than playing D&D or
role-playing. That's okay for them to.

I apologize for anything that may have seemed like a personal attack on
your friends. That wasn't at all what I meant to infer.

Michael