(TFT) My gem and metal system.

For those interested, I have posted my gem and jewelry generation program to
my site at:

http://www.raito.com/gem.zip

It contains a Windows console-mode executable, the single source file
(probably readable even to non-programmers), and a text file detailing its
usage and history.

I should point out that in my milieu, aluminum is available (wizards do
generate electricity), but the alloying is really
expensive/unlikely/impossible, and pure aluminum isn't so useful. Ditto for
chrome and nickel. They mostly just add spice. I'm waiting for some player
to try to get aluminum armor.

Also, many of the gems listed in the table aren't really gems. And some,
like the various colors of marble, are just higher quality, so that they're
measured by the carat, not the kilo, like they would be is used for building
material.

A mending spell repairs one carats worth of flaws, no matter what the
gp/carat value of the flaw is. It also can be used to fuse 2 gems together,
but applying as many Mending spells as total carats in the fused gems. But
until fully fused, the new gem is very fragile, to the point where it can't
be moved. Thus there are many large, flawless gems around (though not
represented well in the tables). But there are also many smaller gems
around, and they tend to get used as coinage, because they weight a lot less
per unit value.

And, in my milieu, a silver = $1. But the gp in the gems does stand for
Gold, which is worth $10.

Any comments appreciated.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com