Re: (TFT) Dave's targeting

Justin writes . . .

>Question/statement:  I suspect that the MH is related to
>missle weapons/spells and hex is related to thrown weapons
>and spells.  Am I correct in my assumption?  If I am, good
>job you just made a simple game simpler, as well as more
>realistic, which is tough to do.

   Yes, that's correct.  Also, with any thrown weapon (including molotails,
gas bombs, explosive gems; but not those annoying boomerangs) you count the
range in hexes, unless you are aiming to hit the target figure's /hex/, in
which case count the range in megahexes.  In my campaigns this range chart
has worked extremely well, especially since most fights have the archers
quickly getting within 5MH of their targets anyway -- just count the
megahexes and that's your penalty to hit.  Archers love the logarithmic
scale at long ranges, and (speaking as a part-time sniper) it has a certain
elegant appeal for me as well.
   I can't take the credit though.  I just copied the same idea used by two
other RPGs (GURPS and Hero System) and applied it to TFT.  (I was a
playtester for Champions 4th Edition when they changed to a logarithmic
range scale, but GURPS changed over around the same time.  Anyone remember
who did it first?)

   Speaking of boomerangs, it just occurred to me that all a boomerang is is
a chunk of wood, i.e. a club.  Logically a boomerang should do one-handed
club damage based on the thrower's ST.  (After all, a /club/ does club-like
damage when thrown, so why not a boomerang?)  An average ST 11 fighter does
1+1, while a ST 25 giant does 3-1 (1+6 rationalized).  Of course get rid of
the ST minimum for boomerangs as well, since damage is now tied to ST.
   Sound good?  (Boomerang-throwing giants -- now /there's/ a scary thought!
8^)

Pfc. Dave Seagraves   101st Airborne Division
Texas Military Historical Society (WWII reenactors)
Sniper squad forming to defeat the krauts -- join us!
1 (512) 835-7527   http://members.aol.com/txmhs