RE: (TFT) I'm new and clueless.

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: (TFT) I'm new and clueless.
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:05:22 -0400

>Would I be far off the mark if I picked up the
latest GURPS basic set?  I read somewhere that GURPS "uses" and "improves"
on the MELEE rules.  This may be hearsay or heresy, what's your opinion?<

Yes! My opinion is that you would be WAY off!

I think most of us on this list bought GURPS at one time hoping that was
the case.

But you'll notice that we're NOT on the GURPS mailing list!

Michael

Marty,

If you have a basic understanding of GURPS, then you have a basic understanding of TFT. GURPS adds another attribute of Health seperate from STregnth. It's talents extend your Rolls against Dex or IQ or ST much more than TFT does. Some of the combat is more complex (so is just about every other game). What it is: A current living game system that has absolutely wonderful resources and source books for you to plunder. It is as different as a chess variant is different from chess; looks familiar but doesn't play exactly the same.

And the only connection between DragonQuest and TFT seems to be in the use of hexes in the core game to play out combat. And possibly the movement and fighting is close. I only use it as source material and have never gotten to play it.

Hail Melee,
John Paul