Re: (TFT) How to make specializing in TFT work in other ways.

Pasha and Rick Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>     The system below is logical. I worry that it
> might take so much memory that you could not get
> a Magic User Generalist.

That could be a problem.  It could certainly work
but sounds like it would give wizards a completely
different 'feel' from what they have now.  Which
might be a good thing, I don't know.

>   I think things would work better if the
> talents give bonuses in a category rather than
> being a prerequisite to DOING magic.

David Seagraves was working on a list of such talents-
for-wizards, and had incorporated one or two that I
suggested.  I don't know if he has a final list or
not.

The one I had suggested that I now recall allowed the
wizard to more finely control the shape of inanimate
creation spells (but not increase their volume), allowing
for instance, a Create Wall to be used to create a temporary
staircase.

Others I can think of off the top of my head that
sound plausible:

 - Plus to DX with missile spells (as you just mentioned)

 - The ability to go into a trance state that lowers
  the maintenence cost of all spells but also prevents
  you from moving or taking any action while doing so.

 - Perhaps specializations in logical spell groupings
  (inanimate summonings, creature summonings, fire
   spells, mentalist spells, etc.) that would confer a
   bonus to casting rather than being a pre-requisite
   for learning that category of spells.

Does all this make wizards more flexible and varied?  Yep.
Does that also make them more powerful?  Probably.  Is
that a good thing?  <Heroes look at me balefully while
sharpening their weapons.>  Well...er, maybe.

Perhaps it would work best in tandem with one of the
weapon specialization schemes floating around out
there.