Re: (TFT) How to make specializing in TFT work in other ways.

Stan wrote:

> >     The system below is logical. I worry that it
> > might take so much memory that you could not get
> > a Magic User Generalist.
>
> That could be a problem.  It could certainly work
> but sounds like it would give wizards a completely
> different 'feel' from what they have now.  Which
> might be a good thing, I don't know.
>
> >   I think things would work better if the
> > talents give bonuses in a category rather than
> > being a prerequisite to DOING magic.

<please see below>

>  - The ability to go into a trance state that lowers
>   the maintenence cost of all spells but also prevents
>   you from moving or taking any action while doing so.

A new combat action for disengaged magi?

Move 0 hexes, turn one hex side (to track a moving summoning?), and
'Maintain a Spell' at -2 to the ST cost.  If attacked while Maintaining,
you are at +2 to be hit by missles(spell or weapon) or thrown weapons
(but not spells), and +4 to be hit in melee by adjacent figures.  You
may not defend against an attempted HTH attack; all such attacks will
automatically succeed.

>  - Perhaps specializations in logical spell groupings
>   (inanimate summonings, creature summonings, fire
>    spells, mentalist spells, etc.) that would confer a
>    bonus to casting rather than being a pre-requisite
>    for learning that category of spells.

My suggested approach, 'colleges' (which I think is more DragonQuest
than Gurps, but whatever...) is intended to ride over the existing
methods, a mage may still study a single spell.  But if he takes the
Illusionist 'Major', he gets Illusion, Image, A version of Mage Sight
versus Illusions, some more flexibility in the application of the
spells, etc.

It's part of my take on the seemingly-universal trend toward more skill
points, which I hope is corrective and not merely inflationary.