RE: (TFT) Associatin of Fantasy Trippers

From: "Marty Brown" <marty@mythicgames.com>
Subject: RE: (TFT) Associatin of Fantasy Trippers
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:07:04 -0500

>>It's a shame that TFT can't be officially revived. However, I think the
>>best response is to do what Microtactix is doing -- publish new works that
>>are in the spirit of the old Metagaming without being derived from its
>>products in any way.

I have to agree.  I have seen the TFT rules now, and I think they're as
great as many of you have indicated.  (It's amazing how much detail is
provided in those few volumes.)  But I don't think that Steve Jackson has
defined the do-all, end-all set of simple but enjoyable fantasy gaming
rules.  Personally, I would like to see this group focus their creative
energies on defining a better set of rules. Better because many of you have
played TFT for years and know where it needs improving and better because
the rules would be in the public domain and free for anyone to use and
expand on.

Perhaps, to start the ball rolling, we could hold a contest/workshop where
anyone could submit a core set of simple rules to the group.  The
submissions could be critiqued and anyone could expand on them or create
derivative works (as long as credit was given where due).  Maybe we could
spark the creation of several interesting new rule sets.

Disclaimer: I have no skills (that I know of) in setting up such a
contest/workshop, but it seems like a good idea.

Marty

Marty,

Actually I suggested something like this about a year ago. It really wasn't about changing the core rules so much as organizing the variants. This was at a time when there was a lot avid talk about IQ/Talent skills, DX Combat variations, split attributes. This was also before supporters like Cas started putting up group discussioned rules and races on a webring, EVEN before the webring (though TY had his up all along.)

I suggested grouping all the like style variants into Headings: something like IQ variations. In this would list ALL the variations of IQ and talent purchasing that we have come up with. This could initially list the date of the posting and author for archival purposes. But ultimately, it would bundle each author's idea into a handy variant form with a credit to him. List some of the plus and minuses and rebuttels of that system. Then list some other version with its pluses, etc. At the end of each truly different version, create a conversion to another author's version.

My purpose to all of this is that we at this usergroup have very diverse views on how alter or append TFT (and some who demand no change). I have also seen those who converted other gaming systems to TFT. Why not set up a strictly OPTIONAL system where we can catagorize our related variants and push rules to fill the style we like. This would help eliminate the "I like my rule and I'm not crazy about that other rule so I have to kill it" because there is no where else to put it. If we had the ability to put things in a slot that they knew was opposed to their style, but could be handled and helped by those who did like that style, some of our "attack" dialog might actually become useful as a rebuttal, but it would not stop the thing from being put in the Variant Page.

I mentioned an internal conversion concept for the optional gaming mechanic system. Some of our concepts are so diametrically opposed to eachother as to seem a different gaming system. Why not be able to convert it to one that I play in or vice versa. I want to play in Michael's world but he plays OPTIONAL system "R" with combat determined by initiative points instead of movement options. But I play in OPTIONAL system "K" that uses standard TFT movent options, but uses Expanded Memory Slots. I think this would reduce some of the problems when we want to create a common TFT gaming world and run into "Well, whose variants are we going to use?" With grouping into catagories and then providing conversions, this should reduce the problem.

By the way...I am not interested in rewriting the core rules for TFT. I'm glad that some of us are writing gaming systems that echo TFT (this is a worthy and common endeavor), but that is not what I am interested in.

Hail Melee,
John Paul