Re: (TFT) Engaging in TFT ---> rats

From: "David Michael Grouchy II" <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Engaging in TFT ---> rats
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:15:00 -0600

<snip>
From: "John Paul Bakshoian" <hailmelee@hotmail.com>

   This may be belated on reply, but I think this is an
acceptable idea.

   I would even go a bit further to apply it to riders on
horseback who zip by a player's zone of control but are
not stopped by it.  Let the unmounted get a swing at the
rider as he gallops by.  Perhaps both can get a swing at
minus DXs.  If the rider is hurt, find out if he falls.
If he fails his DX, roll again to see if he catches himself.
 Another failed roll and he falls off his horse next to
the unmounted man, but the horse still gallops onward.

John,
A belated reply is always O.K. Most of these topics are timeless to me.
 I'm willing to discuss anything in the archives.  Even from years ago.
   First, doesn't it take two people to engage a horse?  So the horse and
rider get to pass the figure by anyway. But to do it the way you describe I
remember something from the early version of Chapions called the "pass
through attack."  It seems similar, but with yours the character being
passed through gets to hit back.  A quick question.  What does the rider
roll vs. DX if he has EXPERT HORSEMANSHIP?

   David Michael Grouchy II

David,

You are correct in that in TFT, it would take 2 people to engage a horse. But I'm still thinking that a fast moving massive 2 hex+ object would still have inertia to plow right through two fighters. If you've seen 13th Warrior or a score of similar, that's what they do. Except maybe to Massed Pikemen.

I would like to hear the Champions "Pass through Attack" rule.

On my "Pass By Attack", the rider would have to have at least horsemanship talent to attempt it or be at major penalties. If he gets hit, he rolls against horsemanship (or Expert Horsemanship) to see if he is good enough to stay seated through the hit. Of course if he gets hit with 5+ damage, his savings roll is at -2DX. If he gets hit with 8 damage he falls per damage rules and probably takes even more in falling damage.

Rider would roll the normal advantage of Expert Horseman which is I think one die less than regular horsemanship in staying on horse.

Here is how I would use this in movement.
H = Hexes. R = Rider movement which is 18 hexes. He attacks man at the 10th hex.
G is where horse ends up at end of movement phase.
M is man.  The attack occurs for both of them at F.
If Rider is unmounted, he lands at X.
The attack happens at combat phase with high dex going first (unless there are pole weapons involved, then they go first.)

Note there could be other fights going on with this same rider, but he only gets one swing and any standing fighters only get one swing as he goes by.

If the horse is starts its "charge" only 3 hexes away, it does not have enough momentum to do a "Pass By attack" and must stop if there are 2 fighters engaging him.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
RRRRRRRRRF XRRRRRRG

I hope that lined up for your machines.

Hailmelee