Re: (TFT) Engaging in TFT ---> rats

From: "David Michael Grouchy II" <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Engaging in TFT ---> rats
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 02:22:18 -0600

<snip>
 If you've seen 13th Warrior or a score of similar, that's
what they do.  Except maybe to Massed Pikemen.

John,
Cool movie. It was the first book Michael Cryton (sp?) wrote. I read it
when I was eight.  It was called "Eaters of the dead"  It had quite an
impression on me. Vikings, Islam, man eating monsters. It's interesting to
note how many cultural things from that book made it into the movie.
  For instance in Islam a dog is considered a very low creature.  Also in
the early history of the crusades the appearance of the Franks was kind of
like a sneak attack.  Then there is the scene in the movie where the scout
comes back and says how many guards there are.  Billy wolf asks "Can we
sneak up on them?"  The scout answers "They don't keep dogs.  Should be
easy."  I loved the expresison on the Arabs face at this casual comment.

I read a bit about the making of that movie. Antonio Banderas is not a small guy. To make him look like a small arab, they hired VERY TALL scandinavian actors. Then they had to get VERY LARGE horses to keep the scale. I feel the movie should have been more popular than it was. I put that to poor publicity. I LOVE the movie.

  But that's off the topic.  You were talking about the scenes where the
mounted riders went through hoards of people and never stopped their forward
momentum.  Or more specifically were not engaged.  I always see this as a
scattered hoard.  That is no two individuals in the mob are closer than two
HEXES to the next guy.  In this kind of spread out irregular formation the
horse would just ride around freely.
  I think its like you aluded to in the last sentence.  Massed pikement.
That is tight formations.  In cases like that the horse is stopped.

Yeah. A tight formation would definitely act as a "Fence" that the horse would either have to jump or 'hit' or balk and toss the rider.

I would like to hear the Champions "Pass through Attack" rule.

   Well, they're not really suitable for TFT.  In champions characters get
mutliple attacks per turn.  With the "Pass through attack" one could
literlly move through a figures HEX and attack them on the way.  These
supehero's could run through a line of five cops and disarm them all.  The
"pass through attack."

   David Michael Grouchy II

Hey Michael Taylor, you can add this to the TFT superheroes abilities.

Hail Melee,
John Paul