(TFT) Re: Crossbows Are Too Powerful ?

From: "Ty Beard" <tbeard@tyler.net>
> From: "Stan" <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
> > As it is now, TFT longbows may be underpowered compared to real
> > longbows, but the higher ROF makes up for it.
>
> Agreed -- if you're fighting lightly armored foes. But you cannot
> replicate the superiority of English longbowmen over knights with TFT. My
> rules changes are an attempt to remedy this.

The battle where this impression comes from is Agincourt, where several
hundred longbowman defeated a few thousand heavy cavalry. But that's not
the whole picture. The French cavalry were defeated by a combination of
factors, including no unified command, bad terrain (lots of mud), and ignoring
the archers in favor of more prestigious nobles, in addition to the
effectiveness of the long bow. The long bow penetrated armor most often at
weak points, like eyeslits and joints, not on the heavy plates. The key was
continuous concentrated fire, starting on horses and then on the dismounted
heavy cavalry while they wallowed in the mud.

See http://home.austin.rr.com/wdaniel/agincourt/ as a resource.

For other things to do with long bows, see Bill Seurer's house rules at:
http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/tft/combat.html under Archery. This
includes Good Bow Shots (treat like a Fencing hit), enhanced range, and
opportunity fire.

I feel that Bill's rules are sufficient to solve this problem.

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Chemistry is a lot like Witchcraft, only less newt." -- Willow on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer