RE: (TFT) d20 TFT Battle Report --> Rick's comments.

>... I submit
>that TFT has its priorities wrong. In my games, 6 die rolls are extremely
>rare, while 3 die rolls happen all the time. Therefore, the system should
>not slight the common 3d6 just to enable the comparatively rare 6d6 rolls.

	I agree completely.

>True. For all practical purposes, there will be either a 5% chance or no
>chance to do something. Though, I hasten to add that this is largely the
>case in TFT as well.

	This is the largely the case for
normal characters, but most of my PC's
have been playing for many years.  Some
of them are NOT at the 5% range for 6
or 7 die rolls, but they don't find them
easy either.

	I mean that there is a feeling of
accomplishment when a character starts
not feeling completely dominated by 5 &
6 die rolls.

	***

	One reason I felt that -8 for a 4
die roll rather than a -6 was appropriate
is that dodging and defending don't really
do that much against competent characters.
I feel defending needs all the help it can
get, so I felt that rounding a (3.5 * 2 = )
7 up to an 8 is better than rounding it down
to a 6.  (Trying to keep all modifiers in
even numbers metarule.)

>Incidentally, here's a nifty rule stolen from Pendragon that would handle
>battles of wills in a d20 context:
>
>Roll 1d20. If one player does not roll less than his DX, the other player
>wins if he makes his roll. If both players make their roll, the player that
>rolls *highest* wins.

	Hmmmm....

	So I initiate a battle of wills
vs a Demon and I roll a 1 vs my IQ.
Critical Hit! Hoody Hoo, I rock!  Then
the demon rolls a 4.  It wins.

	The system works, it just breaks
the TFT metarule that low rolls are
better than high rolls (exempting
damage).

	Also it does not reward really
high attribute figures.  For example
let us say that Gronk the strong
(ST 18) is having a tug of war with
a 14 hex dragon (ST >100).

	Gronk rolls a 14, dragon rolls a
12.  Gronk wins.

	In fact if both figures have a
ST 20+ it is a total luck roll.  Flip
a coin.

	***

	For general contests, the
two people roll.  The one who makes
the roll by the most wins.  (Exception
if only one person gets a critical then
the crit. trumps the normal win
condition.)

	***

	How about this for my wish rules
(C) Rick Smith in the TFT d20 system .

	Person who initiates the Battle
of wills rolls 1d20 vs IQ with any
modifier that he chooses (positive or
negative).

	Demon rolls 1d20 vs IQ and applies
the same modifier but adds 10 to it.

	There are 4 possible results:
1)	PC makes roll, Demon fails.  The
wizard gets a wish.

2)	PC makes roll & Demon makes roll. Both
get partial success: Wizard finds out a
bit about the demon's name (which will
help in future battles of wills).  Demon
kills wizard (who can be raised, losing
5 attributes).

3)	PC blows roll and Demon blows roll.
Wizard is killed, and demon badly hurt is
returned to its plane.

4)	PC blows roll & Demon makes it.
Demon kills wizard consuming his soul and
reduces the body to ash.  Wizard can never
be raised.

	Example: Joe (IQ 27) tries to get a
wish from a demon (with an IQ of 14). Joe
has a +1 wish.  Joe rolls 1d20 vs IQ and
picks a -12 modifier.
	The demon will have roll against its
IQ at a -2 IQ.

	Joe has an adjusted IQ of 27-12 = 15.
He rolls a 15 makes it (with one point to
spare).
	Demon has an adjusted IQ of 14 -12 +10
= 12.  He rolls a 2.

	Joe learns a little bit about this
demon and a lot about the risks of Battles
of Wills (assuming someone is standing
around with a Revival Spell so that Joe can
learn anything).

	Rick