Re: (TFT) Come one, come all ! Potions for all spells

Rick writes:

> I could easily see a hurtled potions smashing on the floor.

I agree.  I was talking about imbibable potions before and
didnt think of this possibility.

> While it saves typing for the game designer to be able to
> say, "see spell X for the effects of this potion".  I think
> that the game has more flavor if alchemists, chemists, item
> enchanters and spell casters all have their own strengths
> that the others can not duplicate.

Well, one benefit is that it doesnt cost any ST to throw a
vial.  On the other hand, all those vials can weigh a person
down and are subject to breaking.  ( see Universal Solvent )

> The effects that gods give their priests are not mentioned in
> the above discussion.  Should not 'priest magic' logically be
> duplicated by chemical, alchemical, magic items and magical
> effects as has been suggested for the other four modes of
> accomplishing things do?

Basic TFT is kind of light on priest magic, IIRC.  There are
the Priest and Theologian talents, but I think that had more to
do with affecting the masses, not calling down lightning strikes
from God or magically healing grievous wounds.

> What is more, if TFT is expanded with more forms of magic
> such as necromancy, blood magics, existential magic, rune
> magic glyffs, environmental magics, etc., it would be a huge
> task to duplicate all the new spells and effects in magic items
> (and  priestly effects if those are included).

Well, once you open the door to ingredients, these things kind
of fall out on their own.  If wizards are forced to use ingredients
to cast their spells, then various of wizardry arrive from the
different forms of ingredients used - even though the effects
might be the same.

> But I am not bothered that their are some magic items that
> have no spells and vise-versa.  Some things are easier in
> the new mode than the old.

Some items are magical simply because people believe in the
history of the object more strongly.  Is the Hope Diamond
really cursed?  Or is the curse only in the mind of holder?
Does it matter?  Either way, the effect is the same.

> I think it would be more interesting, that different forms of
> 'technology' should have different effects and rules as seems
> appropriate for that class of effects.

Yeah, but then you're talking about expanding the rulebook
further to explain the rules associated with that 'technology'

Dan