Re: (TFT) Staff spell?

In a message dated 3/31/2003 8:58:21 AM Central Standard Time,
mtapley@swri.edu writes:

> 1) If a wizard learns the Quarterstaff talent, then casts Staff on his
> quarterstaff, does he do:
>
> a) 1D damage, per the spell
> b) 1D+2 damage, per the talent (this is what I think)
> c) 2D+2 damage, the sum of the two ?

I use (c)

> c) seems a bit too powerful for me. I'd say the staff puts a lower limit on
> the damage done by a blow with the item, but can't inflate damage if it
> were already more powerful than that. Else wizards end up better fighters
> than fighters are.

I agree that (c) is powerful. If I didn't *want* maritial wizards to use this
trick, I'd agree that it was too powerful.

> 2) If a wizard learns the Bow Weapons talent,
> a) Can he cast Staff on every arrow in his quiver?

Yes... but each casting of the Staff spell negates the previous one. I only
allow wizards to have *one* (1) wizard's staff at a time.

> b) If he sticks an arrow into an opponent, and a different opponent tries
> to pull it out and thus causes it to explode, does it do 3D to the one it's
> sticking in, 3D to the overeager physicker, or 3D to each?

I don't agree with the "thus causes it to explode": The way I GM the item, I
emphasize the "against the owner's will" bit in the Staff spell description,
and I disallow attempts by a wizard to force/trick a Staff into the hands of
a victim so as to get the Staff to explode.

(BTW I also require that the Staff spell be cast only on non-ferrous objects:
The arrowhead of a Staff/arrow would have to be stone, silver, bronze, etc.
In addition, I don't allow the Staff spell's "magical" damage to apply if the
item is thrown or shot: Cast the Staff spell on a club, and the club does +1d
damage in melee - but not when the club is used as a thrown weapon.)

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com