Re: Re: (TFT) Too simple / not as simple or elegant... Survey

> - What are the top 3 things that TFT does right.

combat system -  actually a system of (mostly) coherent rules rather than the mush of half-rules and suggestions so popular among game authors at the time.

talents - yeah, maybe one can quibble with some of the talents, but the overall idea ("I'm a doctor") generally is much more workable and balanced than the GURPS-y alternative, where to be a 'doctor' you need to purchase maybe six+ different skills.

magic items - lately people have been laying a smackdown on the system for making them, but I think the way the items themselves work in play is pretty well thought-out.  Some of the things that were introduced in AM and AW (fine plate, gates, trance, high IQ spells in general, etc.) don't feel like they were tested too amazingly well.  It's almost like they just printed the playtest draft of AW.  But for all that I feel the magic item system really came through.

> - What are the top 3 things that TFT OVER SIMPLIFIES.

character stats - the general 'less is more' approach is good, but they went a bit too far.  I think that having secondary stats on ST and IQ takes care of this problem very nicely, though.

monsters - I agree completely with the statements regarding 'silly' monsters, one line descriptions, etc.

weapons - the whole foundation of the weapon system - 'must use a bigger sword to do more damage' - is a bit weird.  I also think there should be more distinction between smacking someone with a club and hitting them with a sword--I've messed around with ideas about 'penetration' and crushing vs. cutting weapons, but never come to a truly satisfactory arrangement.

metaphysics/cosmology - I've always felt that TFT's general lack of information or background in these areas to be a bit of a weak point.  For instance, where do those darn demons come from and (as has already been pointed out) why are they so boring?

It seems like SJ felt that taking a 'modern/clinical/sceptical materialism' approach to the "supernatural" is supposed to explain it all away and render any such questions moot, but it just doesn't come off so well in a fantasy game.  Yeah, vampirism is just a disease, caused by regular ol' bacteria...that lets you fly.  Riiight...

> - What are the top 3 things that TFT does in a
> TOO COMPLICATED WAY.

HtH - The system in general is a bit much, and the rules for entering HtH are just plain weird - not so much complicated as goofy.

Multi-hex creatures - trampling, pushing, HtH, etc.  Granted that this is a tricky thing for which to write 'realistic' rules, but I've never been entirely happy with how AM handles it.

Okay, so that's four things in the Too Simple category and only two in the Too Complicated category.  Sorry, but that's just the way I am.