Re: (TFT) Dwarven Mines --> D&D Axe of the Dwarvish Lords --> A review

Cas and Lisa (also Silvia, Max & Viveka) Liber wrote:
Caverns Of Thracia was a nice polyglot of a dungeon done by Judges Guild in
the late 70s I would heartily recommend ofr atmosphere too if you see it
somewhere, with layers of interesting history.

I'll second that endorsement.  A heavily-modified Thracia was the most
recent adventure I ran in my D&D campaign, a scant few months ago.  It's
a really nice module done by Paul Jaquays.  Definitely a late 70's feel
to it, so it needs some work, but on the whole it's pretty reasonable--
definitely better than the usual (IMO) Judges Guild random silliness.
It compares favorably to the other Jaquays JG module, Dark Tower.

I've never read the Dragonquest module that Jaquays wrote, I wonder how
easily convertible to TFT that one might be...probably pretty much so,
given the *hem* similarities that Dragonquest has to TFT.

By the way, I'd say that Axe of the Dwarvish Lords is one of the most
TFT-able AD&D modules I've seen.  I've never run it, but when reading
it I kept thinking it would actually work *better* as a TFT adventure
than as a D&D one.  While the goblin strategies in it are interesting,
some of the rule variations to make them work are a bit much for me.
But in D&D goblins need "a bit much" to take on 9th+ level people.
All that could be toned down somewhat in a TFT version.