Re: (TFT) Question to list --> contests.

In a message dated 8/3/2003 9:15:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>     So I ask the list, what would be a
> good way of resolving a contest between
> two characters.  (A contest is when both
> people are directly competing against
> each other.)

A method I've just recently come up with but haven't tried in actual play:

One character rolls 3 dice vs [attribute], with a penalty equal to the amount
by which the other character's [attribute] is over 10. If the other character
has an [attribute] under 10, the first character gets a corresponding bonus.
E.g. if Character B has St 12, then Character A rolls 3d vs St at a -2
penalty. If Character B has St 9, then Character A rolls at a +1 bonus.

I use this in my new rules where one character shoves another (St vs St) or
when two characters both want to enter the same hex as their end-of-turn shift
(Dx vs Dx), as well as for various other things.

Advantages:

o It requires only one die roll.

o It's symmetrical: It doesn't matter which character rolls and which
supplies the modifier.

o For common attribute scores (those in the 10-19 range) determining the
penalty is dead easy.

As for how much of a chance a weaker character has, this method will give the
weaker character an 8- roll with a 2 point disadvantage, a 7- roll with a 3
point disadvantage, and a 6- roll with a 4 point disadvantage.

Checking the numbers...<sfx: Blinkenlights> This turns out to be somewhat
worse for the weaker figure than your method 2 - I guess that you want to give
weaker characters a better chance than I do.

I suppose you could cut the penalty/bonus in half, so as to give weaker
figures a better chance: That way, a 3-4 pt disadvantage (assuming rounding up)
would be an 8- roll instead of a 7- or 6- roll. This would be a somewhat better
chance than your method 2, at the cost of a bit of clunkiness.

Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com