RE: (TFT) Question to list on contests --> subtract down to 10 --> more comments.

>A method I've just recently come up with but haven't tried in actual play:
>
>One character rolls 3 dice vs. [attribute], with a
>penalty equal to the amount by which the other
>character's [attribute] is over 10. If the other character
>has an [attribute] under 10, the first character gets
>a corresponding bonus. E.g. if Character B has St 12, then
>Character A rolls 3d vs. St at a -2 penalty. If Character B
>has St 9, then Character A rolls at a +1 bonus.
>
>I use this in my new rules where one character shoves
>another (St vs. St) or when two characters both want to
>enter the same hex as their end-of-turn shift (Dx vs. Dx),
>as well as for various other things.
>Checking the numbers...<sfx: Blinkenlights> This turns out
>to be somewhat worse for the weaker figure than your method
>2 - I guess that you want to give weaker characters a better
>chance than I do.
>
>I suppose you could cut the penalty/bonus in half, so as to
>give weaker figures a better chance: That way, a 3-4 pt
>disadvantage (assuming rounding up) would be an 8- roll
>instead of a 7- or 6- roll. This would be a somewhat better
>chance than your method 2, at the cost of a bit of clunkiness.
>
>Erol K. Bayburt
>ErolB1@aol.com

Hi Erol, everyone.
	This feels very much like the GURPS
method #1.  Even your modified method costs:
a calculation to get the modifier, two
subtractions, 2 rolls 3d6 & compare results.
I think that even with the modified version,
it will still be too tough on the weaker
figure (we have a 3d6 bell curve with almost
all results falling in a range of 6 results
or so).

	Method 2 does not do too badly for low
level figures.  If Joe has DX 12 and Sheila
has DX 10, then he is 20% better than her.

	However, if he has 18 DX and she has a
16 DX then he has only a 12.5% advantage but
with most methods based on 3d6 her chance
of winning has not improved at all.

	Even Ty's TFT 1d20 does not improve as
both figures get higher att.  (It is highly
random at all attribute levels compared to
regular TFT.)

	I'm not seeing a simple solution for
this (I've been looking for quite a while).
I think that we need something clever.

	Rick