Re: (TFT) Healing spells in TFT.

In a message dated 9/12/2003 4:47:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
tbeard@tyler.net writes:

>> Sure. I always thought there were some interesting questions posed by the
>> AW spells. For example, when I Summon Myrmidon (tm), does a warrior (or
>> giant insect ?? - see ITL) vanish from somewhere else? Is there a range
>> limit to this effect?
>
> I recall once having this happen to a fighter in my campaign. He was
tooling
> along, minding his own business and *flash* he was summoned by some distant
> wizard into a fight...

Not just in TFT - in the very first D&D campaign I played in (late 70s) it
was possible for characters to be put into the "monster summoning pool," a fate
that at least one PC suffered and eventually overcame.

For Etan, I use the explaination that "demons" are convicts, spirits
sentenced to servitude for violations of divine law. (This explains their unpleasant
attitude...) Minor demonlings serve as summoned beings - when a summoning spell
is cast, they're forced to shapeshift, appear, and fight & suffer under the
wizard's mental command. (But not die - when "killed" they are revived so that
they can be summoned to fight and suffer again.) More powerful demons (the
"greater" and "lesser" demons of the spells) can't be directly mind-controlled,
but are geased to appear when summoned and to obey the word of the summoner.
And there are other demons & demonlings who are held to other forms of
servitude, and thus cannot be summoned.

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com