Re: (TFT) Healing spells in TFT.

From: ErolB1@aol.com

Of course a lot depends on the cost & availability of Youth potions. If
they're freely available at the "book" cost of $40,000, then "a healing potion ages
a character by two days" in effect just adds $219 to the cost (Drink 183
healing potions, then drink a Youth potion.)

Erol,
I had not done a cost analysis on them yet. Thanks for figuring the angle of attack. Using the same approach you did I get exactly the same numbers.

OTOH, if (like in my game) Youth potions are legendary and possibly mythical,
then this makes healing potions *expensive*. IME, making useful things
expensive tends to make players and PCs obsessed over them - counterproductive if
your goal is to deemphasize them.

Interesting point. I had not thought of that. In my own case no player has ever seen, drank, or made a youth potion. As GM I use them for excentric mad men who have been around for over a hundred years. In my mind, I see healing potions have an explaination now. They age the character two days instantly, so they recover 1 point of wound. I don't follow how this neccessarily increases or decreases the emphasis on healing potions. They just fit into the underlying logic of the magic system more completely (to me) now, and this line of reasoning gives me some indications on how the descriptive special effect of the potion should look. Example "Gornath quaffs a flask of potions. His wounds close up, and a full beard sprouts on his formerly clean face. 'I'm so hungry' he says."

  David Michael Grouchy II