Re: Fwd: FW: (TFT) Gandalf Falls

At 12:27 PM 11/4/03 -0600, David Michael Grouchy II wrote:
Well this view of it does cover more of the whole scope of the encounter. I bet that would be a kickin solo adventure. "Fight the balrog from the middle of cavern lake, through the entire mines, all the way to the top of the mountain." But I was left with the impresion that Gandalf the Grey didn't shuffle off this mortal coil untill after he 'smote his (the balrog's) ruin on the side of the mountain. But yes. Falling that far, and running for three days are super hero type events. I wonder how a GM could represent this. Gandalf starts in the lake with 3 fatigue (from inpact), and Aragorn and the boys end the three days run with 3 fatigue. I mean in TFT rules this would put them all closer to death.

I think you need some extreme mechanics to represent Gandalf's fall and battle - something like, he's a spirit whose physical manifestation has high DR, high damage capacity, and regenerates. Even Tolkien didn't try to detail it, as it was definitely supernatural.

For the 3-day run, I would tend to say things like:

1) It was an exaggeration. They did take breaks and naps.
2) Dwarves have super-Human endurance.
3) Dwarves have sub-human stride length. TFT combat rules to the contrary, they don't run that fast, even if they can run for a long time. 4) From 2 & 3, it follows that Aragorn ("Strider") and Legolas didn't need to run. "Strider" was used to marching for days, and Legolas was also one of these "Human, Plus" Elves, so they were just doing pressed marches.

In sum, they just went as fast as they could, and they were all in extremely good shape.

It reminds me, though, of one GM who had run a game for a fairly long time with fairly powerful fantasy adventures going on. After a break, he decided to re-cast the campaign some years later, with a much more toned-down power levels, explaining that the adventures that had been played before, were actually "embellished" versions of what had actually happened. An imaginative way to deal with a growing interest in toned-down situations, and a game system that was starting to get out-of-balance from powerful PC's (it wasn't TFT, BTW).

PvK