Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee

I never liked the shield rush rules. They were too fussy and produced odd
results. I also think that shield-rushing your foe is more a function of
leverage and physical strength (both aspects of ST) than about speed and
agility (both aspects of DX). Howabout this idea?

1. Roll to hit.

2. If you hit, you and your foe make opposed ST rolls. If you win, he falls
down. He stays up if there's a tie or you lose. The GM may give modest ST
benefits where appropriate, for things like having a lower center of gravity
than your foe. I'd give a dwarf +1 if he shield-rushes an elf, for instance.

I handle opposed rolls like GURPS -- the one that makes his roll by the most
wins the contest. If one one fails his roll, the other wins. If both fail,
the one that failed by the least wins.

Now, martial arts shield rushes can be either DX based (a foot sweep for
instance) or ST based (a judo-style takedown, flip or throw). From personal
experience, it can be a long day if you have to grapple and takedown someone
much bigger (or squattier) than you.

In these cases, I'd let someone with the appropriate UC talent substitute
*his* DX for his ST in the above sequence if his foe has less than 1/2 the
martial artist's ST. (A hobbit sweeping a Giant is being overly optimistic
if not delusional.) The target uses the lesser of his ST ot DX.

There is also the unfortunate fact that a failed shield rush (or takedown)
tends to leave the attacker in a more vulnerable position. I think a +2 DX
bonus on the opponent's next attack is reasonable in cases where the attack
fails.

--Ty