Re: (TFT) Secondary Strike

At 08:52 PM 11/15/03 -0800, Ed Thorn wrote:
--- Dave Seagraves <zilch@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> IQ 11 TALENTS

I think it's balanced as originally presented.  It's
an IQ slot for an effective fraction of a +1 to hit,
with reduced damage.  ...

Yes. Dave's version doesn't look unbalanced to me.

Dan's idea would have large effects, though, and would
tend to make high-DX fighters very deadly. Might work
well for a cinematic samurai type game, where you _want_
a single super-guy to be able to wipe out several opponents
per turn. For regular TFT with magic like the Iron Flesh
spell, I think it would tend to make well-equipped veterans
even more effective meat-grinders against low-experience
fighters - they'd be much harder to overwhelm with numbers.

Although, it depends on the limits you set. My initial
reading (for the chambarra samurai I mentioned) thought
it had no limit of attacks/turn, nor of targets, so it'd
allow a super-duper "sweeping blow", wasting everyone in
range. On second reading, if it were limited to unarmed
attacks and low-damage weapons, and only against a single
opponent, then it would be less powerful, though still
a lot better than the printed UC rules.

As always, it depends on what style of play you want.

I experimented with some fencing rules that allowed
rapiers to attack multiple times per turn based on
their DX. It turned out to be extremely deadly, at
least against zero- or light-armored opponents. It's
generally a good idea to run some playtests to see if
you like the effects of proposed new rules.

PvK