(TFT) Wizard Scans & Other Magical Topics

Ah, questions and more questions! This is exactly what happens when we discuss this topic. However I wasn't clear about the nature of the scan. We have always considered it a "mental" scan as opposed to a "visual" scan related to the developed auras of the schooled wizard. As a result, line of sight is not relevant. We have never been able to agree on range or size of area affected. The wizards in our group are hesitant to do anything that gives them away. Only the most powerful wizard can afford to advertise the fact that he is a wizard unless he belongs to a powerful guild. The wizards in our group tend to dress like rogues and often wear leather armor.

The warriors in our group covet any magic defense item they can find. Reverse Missiles and Spell Shield are always in high demand and you haven't arrived if you don't have at least one. If our group is heading off to an adventure, they are often supplied well enough to be a target for some other group of adventurers. This happened to them once and taught them to keep a low profile after the third group of NPC adventurers assaulted them.

A little history of our group
We have been gaming together since 1970. We have played several systems as well as other types of war games but TFT has always been the favorite. We are the best of friends but it is a different story "on the boards". As I said before I am always the GM because I enjoy the detail and planning and the others don't. They prefer to play two or three characters at a time. I can tell you from a GM's viewpoint, I don't believe a more cutthroat, back stabbing bunch of players ever existed! They never fully trust each other because they know (and rightly so) that each one of them has their own personal agenda. The list of characters that has died in their group is astounding. They are the worst bunch of rules lawyers you ever ran across. They can loophole and play the angles like the best of them. They are the creative minds that come up with all sorts of outlandish interpretations of the rules.

"If someone is carrying a pouch of exploding gems, will they explode if he runs? Can I hit the pouch with a magic fist and set them off?"

They definitely keep me on my toes. But I know how to wreak my vengeance.

"You see a shining silver chased gauntlet lying in the center of a large scorched area. It seems to pulse with power."

While they always agree to split the loot equally, history has shown that possession is 9/10 of the law when the loot is hard to split. Thus they are often conflicted between their greed to own and self-preservation. They often shift alliances within their group if they think any one of them is getting too powerful. To give you an idea of how they might handle the above situation, the wizard acting on knowledge he has of the group members, might throw a Control Person spell on the lowest IQ member of the group and command him to pick up the item and put it on. Based on the results, he will then either command the player to give the item to him or sweep away the ashes to see if any of the player's items survived. They don't act like this all the time, but they have done it enough that the potential is always there. They seem like a black-hearted band of sociopaths but when I commented on this bahavior of theirs, their response was that they break into people's homes, murder them and steal their wealth. What should I expect? We have some interesting roleplaying but they demand a heavy dose of hack and slash. One thing they have held true in is they never abandon one of their own to the enemy if at all possible. It seems to be okay for them to rip each other off but no one outside the band had better try.

There is one thing that will solidify them like lead. All they need to hear is that a certain relentless psychopathic bounty hunter called the Witch-Hunter is in the neighborhood. Eigon Streele taught them fear once in the past. I love to play with these guys. Our campaigns are mature but nothing is sacred. And when we "hit the boards" they rarely break character. After 33 years of gaming with them I have enough material to write several fantasy novels.