Re: (TFT) Thoughts on "Summon Myrmidon"

From: ErolB1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:56:07 EDT

>The mention of the summoned Myrmidon assassain in "Tainted
Inheritance"
>reminded me of the changes I made to that spell in my own house
rules.

>I changed the name to "Summon Hobgoblin" as a flavor change -
Hobgoblins are
>well known mythical beings IMC, while I really don't have a
greek/roman
>analog.
>
>I also allow them to appear with a shield and/or armor, or with
two weapons,
>or with a two-handed weapon, or a missile weapon & 20 rounds of
ammo. They do
>have to have the minimum required St for their weapons, and if
they appear
>with a crossbow or a gun, then the piece is uncocked/unloaded.
>
>Thus a standard St 12, Dx 12 summoned warrior could appear with a
broadsword &
> shield, with a longbow & 20 arrows, or with a quarterstaff. The
casting
>wizard can determine the weapons "on the fly" as he casts the
spell.

>Summoning a hobgoblin with a different St/Dx combination (e.g. St
14 Dx 10)
>requires that the wizard learn a separate spell. There are 9
versions of the
>spell, for hobgoblin warriors from St 8 Dx 16 to St 16 Dx 8, and
each version
>must be learned separately.
>
>--
I did something like that at one time. I kept a table of Myrmidons
for each race type. A summoned Myrmidon from each race were
treated as seperate spells and the actual Myrmidon was randomly
chosen from the table of 16 fighters (3-18) they had different
attributes and weapons varied from fairly weak (30 point)to fairly
strong (40 point) with most being 32-35 attribute points.

It worked fairly well in most cases but had its problems. I also
used these same table to develop NPC's by adding talents and
handicaps that worked very well.

Robert Morger
Pangaea_TFT Fantasy RPG adventure
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pangaea_TFT/