Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments appreciated.

In a message dated 12/29/2004 1:55:17 PM Central Standard Time,
mgacy@maad.com writes:

>So here's the rule:
>
>The first time a combatant takes damage in combat, make a St (or fST) roll.
>Failure - The combatant is incapacitated (unable to attack) for the rest of
>the combat. The combatant may choose no action other than fall to the
>ground, or run away (may get up to run away).

I've been toying with something like this myself. I'd be inclined to require
a second roll to run away (if the first roll failed).

>A combat is considered a new combat if there are 20 or more rounds of no
>combat among any of its participants.

I'd be inclined to make it 12 or 24 turns (1 or 2 minutes)

>Options for how to use it in a game
>1) In a "realistic" game, everybody makes this roll
>  Additional options
>  a) An IQ 9 skill (1 pt) - Combat Focus, makes this roll automatic
>     or
>  b) Heros automatically have this skill, wizards make take it for 1 pt
>2) "Heroic" characters (all PCs and key NPCs) don't make this roll.

I prefer to put things like this on a sliding scale, if possible. Also I
prefer to avoid adding new talents - especially "must have" talentsf for PCs. So
maybe:

3 dice base roll vs base St

+1 die per extra 2 pts damage taken (4 dice if you took 3 pts, 5 dice if you
took 5 pts, etc.)

-1 die per two points worth of melee combat talents that you have (basic & pe
culiar melee weapon talents, fencing, two weapons, warrior, veteran, the UC
talents)

I'm not sure how I'd factor in wizard spells into this. Possibly count
certain spells as equivalent to melee combat talents. Or possibly let talents
learned by a wizard count double (since they pay double) - but have wizards w/o
combat talents be wimps.

The character would have to make a roll when first injured in a combat, and
again whenever he takes an injury serious enough to require a roll on a larger
number of dice.

>This could be used in place of or in addition to the -2 DX rule.

I'd strongly recommend using it in place of the -2 Dx rule, rather than in
addition. But that's just me :-)