(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #643

tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

> Also, the interesting thread Erol provided the link to goes back to an FBI
> study where one of the main points is that most injuries, even light ones,
> completely take most people out of combat entirely. This matches the
> experiences I have seen first-hand of people being taken out by a light
> blow that did essentially zero damage. The exception that Erol and many of
> that people focused on, however, were the weird exceptions where some
> people didn't go down and weren't affected by lots of damage. Again, see
> Berserk in TFT.

I think this is addressing a point missed in the rules and the thread: the
psychology of the wounded person. Granted; I don't see how this can be (or
should be...) modeled since this is still supposed to IMNSHO be a fun simple set of
beer and pretzels rules (well Melee and Wizard anyway...:-). My take is that
wounds and their effects probably follows the standard bell curve of results
with the "scratch one wimp" and the "ubermensh" results being the rare poles
with more typical results filling the center of the curve. It's a simple fact
that different people react differently to pain. One person who gets punched in
the nose could fall apart upon seeing the damage while another could go
berserk. I don't know how this can be quantified except maybe as an optional die
roll after damage; oh, say 1=character passes out -- 2-5=character reacts as per
standard ITL rules -- 6=character goes berserk and ignores damage results
until fight is over...