Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #643

At 10:19 PM 12/29/04 -0500, Sethkimmel@aol.com wrote:
... I don't know how this can be quantified except maybe as an optional die
roll after damage; oh, say 1=character passes out -- 2-5=character reacts as per standard ITL rules -- 6=character goes berserk and ignores damage results
until fight is over...

For one approach, see GURPS, where characters may have a variety of relevant traits such as:

Low Pain Threshold
High Pain Threshold
Berserker

and some others added later. Additionally, GURPS has various rules which make reactions to injuries unpredictable:

* Taking over half damage in one turn requires a health (in TFT, ST) roll or fall down.

* Being knocked backwards requires a DX roll to keep footing.

* Characters can take up to 6 times their ST-like stat before being automatically dead. After 1 times that stat, they get to roll each turn to keep fighting.

* Characters can be stunned by damage, but this effect goes away if the character makes a health roll.

Etc.

In TFT, the effects are more automatic, though again, the Berserk rules allow them to be ignored, and is another way to take into account some psychological effects. Generally, TFT fans who disdain GURPS don't want to add more die rolls. However, as much as I personally enjoy adding complex mechanics, I would point out that sometimes you can add a modifier like the -2 and -3 DX penalties from wounds in TFT, and the final net result can turn out to be very similar to the results you'd get from a more complex system. I.e., the DX penalties add a chance that a wounded figure will be messed up due to wounds, while leaving a chance they'll hit anyway. The chances of the two kinds of end results are still there - if the proposed system is just going to add a random chance not based on anything, it may as well just keep the existing modifiers, and let players interpret them however they like.

PvK