Re: (TFT) Poll - TFT Books We'd Like to See

At 09:04 AM 4/25/05 -0400, David Peterson wrote:
1. Assuming there was an Open-TFT license, what books would you like to see published for the system?

It'd be neat to see the system re-released to expose it to current-day kids.

2.  What is your favorite RPG supplement that would be cool to have for TFT?

The Mountain Environment and The Desert Environment (3rd party expansions aimed at Traveller but mostly generic - there was The Undersea Environment too but it wasn't terribly useful for TFT) were good sources which we used as references for TFT situations. Never made a great direct conversion, however. Worked fairly well to kind of fudge an "Endurance" attribute based on GM discretion, and then use the Traveller-based rules, but TFT-based rules for environmental conditions and similar mundane yet potentially challenging situations.

Maps and counters are always nice.

3. What is your favorite TFT supplement/rulebook/adventure that you wish there were more of for TFT?

Er, I like them all? ITL, AM, AW... I think more campaign rules could be useful. More detailed rules and information than ITL provides for travel, athletic obstacles, social, economic and other non-combat situations.

4. What is your favorite rules expansion or adventure from this mailing list that you think is worthy to be a published TFT supplement?

A bunch of well-thought-out, well-described and playtested house rules could be good. Optional rules, in the tradition of some of the Interplay articles, but _better_ than the Interplay articles. For instance, some alternate healing and death rules, each for different tastes, but ones that have been used and tested and well written up. Or the brief HTH amendment I suggested recently. Alternative to-hit rules that take into account the (non-Defending) defender's skill. Alternate talent systems that don't suffer from the "I ran out of IQ to learn any new tricks" issue with TFT talents. Alternate rules or just plain corrections for the (few) weak points like tunneling or effects of great strength on damage. Alternate weapon & armor stats. Better mounted and flying combat rules. There have been many good suggestions or expositions of used house rules on this email list.

Some interesting stories from people's TFT games might be fun to hear, too.

PvK