Re: (TFT) New Oriental TFT solo campaign

For me, Arm's Law combats were always very easy. (not easily car playble, though!)

You had an offensive bonus, and at the beginning of a round you chose how much you wanted to apply to attack and how much to parry (add to defensive bonus).

You rolled d100, added bonuses & looked at the table against the opponent's AC to see how much damage was done. If it indicated a critical, you rolled d100 and consulted the appropriate table for the extra damage and the description of the damage. There is so much detail that you can't memorize the tables.

You'd be surprised, though, how fast you can find the appropriate line on a table with just a little practice.

Most hits required one maybe two rolls (hit & critical) with occasionally more for what is called an "open-ended" roll (i.e. a natural roll of 96 or higher allows you roll again and add the rolls).

What I like about it is that if it says you get hit in the leg, it will usually have consequences, such as decreased defensive bonus and decreased mobility. There is also stunning, and taking hits /rnd as consequences of critical hits.

My conversion maintains some of the uniquness of TFT, by still requiring a minimum ST to wield weapons, with a simple 5xST for hit points and 5xDX for offensive bonus.

I keep the six TFT armor classes, distributed among the 20 Arm's Law classes. Armor: Plate (20) or Half Plate (19) / Chain (14) / Leather (10) / Cloth (6) / None (1)

Some weapons have bonuses or penalties to hit certain armor classes, using 5 categories (Plate and Half plate are grouped in the same category). For animals, you could choose to either directly map the hits stopped to the same ACs (e.g. two hits stopped is equivalent to leather AC 10) or use the Arms Law tables specifically for animals (e.g. Hide). I haven't had them fight animals yet, so I haven't decided yet.

A simple rule of thumb for conversion would be anything that gives a +1 to hit or damage gives +5 to hit in Arms law.

For everything else, use TFT rules (initiative, facing, hexes, etc.)

I also have done Spell Law, but that is completely untested and this post is long enough as it is.

Here's my Eastern section:

Eastern weapons
Weapon          Table  ST   Notes
Kris             2.6    8   -5/-5/0/+5/+5, may use HTH
Sai              2.16   8   See Main Gauche
Tonfa            2.4    8   Min 12 DX, may use HTH
Nunchaku         2.15   9   Min 12 DX, may use HTH w/grapple crit
Shuriken         2.6    9   -10 all, +2 hex range
Hankyu 2H (bow)  2.22   9   +10 all; 1 shot/rnd
Wakizashi        2.23  10   +10 all
Naginata 2H      2.9   10
Daikyu 2H (bow)  2.14  11   +10 all; 1 shot/rnd, +2 Mhex range
Jo 1H            2.15  11   +10 all
Jo 2H            2.19  11   -10 all
Yari             2.25  12   +10 all
Katana           2.7   12   -5/-5/0/+5/+5
Jin Tachi 1H     2.7   13   +5/+5/+10/+15/+15
Jin Tachi 2H     2.26  13   -15/-15/-10/-5/-5
No-dachi 2H      2.26  14   -5/-5/0/+5/+5

I don't know if these are exact fits, but they'll do for now until I have evidence to the contrary.

Example: The katana uses the Falchion table, the character must have a ST of 12 to wield it and the player gets a +5 on the attack roll for cloth and no armor (the last two numbers), and a -5 on the attack roll for Plate or half-plate (the first number) or chain (the second number).

Some, like the Jin Tachi 2H have the same -5/-5/0/+5/+5 spread with an additional -10, as it requires one less ST to wield compared to my regular 2H sword. Conversely, the Jin Tachi 1H has an additional +10 because it requires one more ST to wield compared to a regular falchion.

Others, like the Naginata, balance out the lower ST requirement by having it be two handed, resulting in no net bonus or loss to OB.

I've only used it once or twice so far and it has been fun. I'm not sure of the ST/HP & DX/OB scaling, but 5x seems a good start.

Since different versions of Arm's Law have different numbering for the tables, here is the numbering for the version I have.

2.1 Battleaxe
2.2 Bola
2.3 Broadsword
2.4 Club
2.5 Composite Bow
2.6 Dagger
2.7 Falchion
2.8 Flail
2.9 Handaxe
2.10 Heavy Crossbow
2.11Javelin
2.12 Lance
2.13 Light Crossbow
2.14 Longbow
2.15 Mace
2.16 Main Gauche
2.17 Morningstar
2.18 Polearm
2.19 Quarterstaff
2.20 Rapier
2.21 Scimitar
2.22 Short Bow
2.23 Short Sword
2.24 Sling
2.25 Spear
2.26 Two-Handed Sword
2.27 War Hammer
2.28 War Mattock
2.29 Whip
3.6 Grapple
3.8 Martial arts strikes
3.9 Martial art sweeps

Eric Coles wrote:

I've seen Arms/Claw/Spell Law floating around over the years - how is it to run with? I just took a quick look at http://www.icewebring.com/docs/Arms_Law.pdf#search='arms%20law' and it seems a bit table-heavy. I usually avoid systems with lots of tables since I dislike looking things up midgame, and frequently run games in the car on long drives where all I have to work with is a pad of paper and a backlit diceroller on my PDA. How quickly/easily does a combat run, is most of it memorizable or do you have to reference the tables a lot? The Critical Hit/Fumble tables do sound amusing, though I tend to 'off the cuff' that stuff depending on circumstances. I certainly wouldn't mind taking a look at it.

Best,

Eric