Re: (TFT) Memories --> Tim gives us the goods on Dave???

Tim--

You did indeed introduce me to Melee. The members of this list might get a kick out of this story...

It was a Saturday night at college and you, Butch (who is on this list) and Joe were playing this little game on a tiny hex map with some pretty crappy painted lead figures (I remember lots of orcs for some reason). You guys had been after me to try to play it for sometime so I finally decided to give in. You pulled out Death Test 1 and put together a character for me and while I tried to remember what the f__k STR did Joe told me that I was going to lead the party since I'd never played it before and they had gone through it dozens of times already and something about not heading the party to the bear room whatever the heck that was. So what did I do? I led the party straight to the bear room. I was dead in a matter of 10 minutes and as I sat there and watched everyone else continue to play on without me I remember thinking what a sucky little game this is and how was I going to bail out of the room in a way that I wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. So that was my introduction to Melee.

If I remember correctly you guys continued to play it a lot over at Butch's house on weekends. I do remember some of you talking a lot about the game you were running and how Joe had lost a hobbit character that he had played because Butch (I think), while fighting a giant, shot him in the back with an arrow and did triple damage. I recall thinking, oh, that sucky little game again. Now my memory goes a little fuzzy here. We were mainly playing some heavy duty, serious gaming using Runquest rules and I don't really remember playing much more (if any) TFT at college. It wasn't until after I graduated that, on a whim, I picked up a copy of the rules (the edition with the naked gargoyle on the cover) to see what this was all about. If you hadn't tried to introduce me to it in the first place I don't know if I would have ever bought it. What followed has been a love affair with this little game. I don't even care to try to count the number of games I've played since then. And never with counters. Since that first night going into the Death Test with the crappy painted miniatures I've always played with figures.

After college and in between our weekly Cthulhu game we did play TFT several times. But it was mainly mass combat, arena style one nighters if I recall. I'm trying to remember the Viking, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad games. Did I play in those? Or did you game those down at the Saturday club at the bank? (By the way the other game I was always glad you introduced me to was Circus Maximus. I manage to play that about once a year with a historical gaming group here on Long Island.)

So welcome to the list. I've been hanging out in here for a few years now. Even though it gets quite every now and then all it takes is a few e-mails and it seems to spring back to life. I hope we haven't bored the regular members with stories from our early days of gaming.

If you want to catch up you can e-mail me off list.
--David O. Miller