Re: (TFT) Magic in combat and TFT...

Maera Devayn on magic and war:

"The greatest art for war, and Ah'll claim t'know of what I speak, is the Dreaming.  When y'might send your ghost far, and see all the enemy is about, and return before dawn...  Them without, they're fightin' as if blind.  Sendings might work as well, if it's a hill you'd see beyond, but a witch might Dream, and oceans and mountains can all be o'erreached."  (Maera speaks here first of the Astral spell, and then of Illusions and Images used as sensory probes.  House rules allowed a spell _cast_ slowly to last longer, so Creations served her possibly better than in most campaigns.)

"Once in Dream, and among the enemy, it's the basest arts that serve the best.  Fire kindles where eyes and water are not, Shadow hinders them what are found at delicate tasks...  It's the clever witch who's Given to Dream, and it's she who'll find aught among the enemy, what's poorly-balanced, and easily-toppled.  Or easily sunk."

"Dreaming among allies, it's the Image of yourself you might find most useful.  It'll not last long, but while it does, you'll be able to speak, and to ask, and to answer.  To point to a map and say where you saw this lord's banner, or arms cached in _that_ copse there. ( And while speaking of maps, there's no better than that from the quill of a witch who's Dreamt the land she's drawin'. )  And mind, Images need not be of y'self, if there's a chief among the enemy, or a greatest thorn in your side, have a handful come to a place and a time, and let them all see the face to watch for."

"I know well, you're all mindful of the drain of all these arts, of the cost of drivin' them back through the veil from the Dreaming.  And all that's true, but we're not Guildsmen, fightin' one another for the best apprentices, and payin' them in gold and favor.  We're Witches, and we've our Love for our Lady and our sisters, and for our people and our lands.  And while Ah'm sure that somewhere 'mong the hated Redshirts, there's a magi drawing on the might of a dozen prentices, Ah'm more sure of the power of our Threes, of our Covens, of our Circles... and of the power of this Claven."

(Sorry, she was most insistent.)