Re: (TFT) TFT Healing

Thanks for all of the replies!  I think I tend to agree with "pvk" on
healing.  While the game might move faster with abundant healing or a  healing
spell, people do become reckless and don't bother to go out of their way  to
minimize the damage incurred.  If you know there'll be enough healing to  be back at
full every battle, then tanks charge out into the middle of the room,
ignoring facing and teamwork to sop up as much experience as they can.

Every GM is different, that goes without saying.  But, I find that the
better GM's (and i'm not in this list, i'm way too lenient) tend to be able to
match battles and write missions that intentionally scale according to a
predicted health level of the party.  It is as if they know that the first  battle
will attempt to get the heroes to show off, and maybe use up a bit too  much of
their "special occasion" items.  And the second battle is usually a  grind
that eats up healing stores.  And after that the good GM's tend to be  able to
predict that the party will be hurt and they scale the opponents with  placement
or tactics even if they had not already expected the group to be in  pain.

But, clearly as groups become super-groups, predicting what can and will
happen gets harder and harder.  As a GM it becomes extremely hard to  challenge
the group without wiping it out.  But, more times than not the  superheroes
pull out amazing items that tip the scales and save the day.   And, isn't that
what it's all about?  Isn't it great to see someone pull  out a bean bag that
does two die-heal once a month and use it as a thrown  weapon?  Isn't it really
cool to watch a hero power up a headband of  speedmove and save the wizard by
motoring into a back hex of a giant, charging  the snot out of it with a
(2d+4) x 2 charge with a pike axe and the extra damage  due to movement bonuses?

If there was healing magic, I think more players would simply hoarde their
cool items and super moves, saving them for themselves to bring down the
killing  blow for the extra experience.  Why should they worry?  The healer  will
heal the injured, or resurrect them after the battle.  And while it  makes
designing battles easier because you can always count on the party being  at full
strength, doesn't it breed a generation of timid adventurers, groups  that
won't move on until they are at full?  None of our GM's, me included,  will allow
a party to sit around and rest up to full.  Either they will  continually get
interrupted or surprized, or the mision will require that they  make haste.

Well, I've spouted enough.  I can understand the desire to increase  the
speed of the game.  But, heroes emerge when the chips are down!   Look at every
adventure movie ever made.  The hero never wins the day  without first being
beaten to a pulp.  And it's the hero's will to continue  that earns him the
respect in the end!

Good Fortune,
Rick

In a message dated 9/9/2006 11:17:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,  pvk@oz.net