  From: ErolB1@aol.com
  To: tft@brainiac.com
  Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 5:40 PM
  Subject: Re: (TFT) fiction, unreasonable DXs, gems as arrowheads

  In a message dated 9/15/2006 11:50:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
  craigwbar@comcast.net writes:

  >Who here would lay claim to the highest DX character ever?  I once built
an
  >archer up to an adjDX in the 30's, but I'm sure others here have beaten
that
  >standard by a mile.

  Player-character in my campaign, "Dami the Mad Archer," got his adjDx with
  his bow up to 41, IIRC.

  >Actually, my little innovation was arming him with arrows tipped with all
  the
  >various kind of combat gems.  Some twelve die exploding gems, some summon
  >gargoyle gems, some seven hex wall gems and so on.  Reverse missiles you
  say?

  I had another PC who used the magic-gem-tipped arrow trick, but Dami didn't
  need it. "OK, I take -6 Dx for range, and -20 for a 5x damage called shot.
That
  gives me a net 15 or less to hit..."

  And when he suspected Reverse Missiles was in play "I take a called shot for
  minimal damage. If the arrow doesn't fly back at me, my next arrow..."

  Then, if something did get close enough for melee, it would have to deal
with
  Dami's friend Lucas Blackblades - adjDx "only" in the mid 20s with his
  swords, but he had two attacks with them each turn (usually with one used to
parry)
  and their base damage was about twice that of Dami's arrows. There was the
one
  time when Lucas was fighting, on foot, against two or three mounted NPCs
with
  lances. One of them managed to get a charge attack vs Lucas' rear hex, and
he
  managed to parry that attack despite a total Dx penalty of around -15 to do
  so.

  And then there was the rest of the group.

  I count that run with my campaign, back in Rochester NY, as perhaps the best
  time I ever had running TFT.

  Erol K. Bayburt
  Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow