Re: (TFT) Penetration of armor by Longbows --> Rick has a study!

> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 19:40, Craig W. Barber wrote:
> > Longbow versus armor or not?:  I'm surprised there are no contemporary
> > accounts!  ...
>
>   My wife is a VIP in the SCA and was running a
> Arts and Science competition.  One paper (over 50
> pages) was talking about firing a bow into various
> types of armor and seeing if the arrow could
> penetrate.

Which Kingdom?

>   It is called:  "English Longbow Testing against
> various armor circa 1400" by Matheus Bane (c)
> January 2006.

It would be interesting to see.

>   It is an impressive scholarly work with physical
> experiments and over 18 references.
>
>   The arrows went thru anything less than full plate
> tho several types of armor slowed the arrows
> significantly.

I wonder if he took into account the differences in padding used under full
(c. 1100) mail and transitional (c. 1350) armour? Differences in metal
content and treatment? Stength of bow and arrow? Etc. (I guess I'd have to
read it...)

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com