Re: (TFT) Parrying and blocking

Craig,
No worries. :o)
The latest posts, brought the subject back to me and I had a particularly tedious bit of work on at the time...
I've been intending to post my active defence rules for so long.

I've refrained from commenting on longbows vs plate so far...

:o)

Aw Heck!

Longbows were so effective in medieval warfare, not just because they were powerful and accurate over long range (they were, horribly so).
It's the rate of fire that slaughters armies.

In order to earn his thruppence per diem, a 'professional' English or Welsh archer was expected to shoot at least twelve arrows a minute and sustain that rate of fire for as long as necessary or until he ran out of arrows.

One arrow fired off against an armoured knight was most likely to miss, (but not by much). If it hit him (more likely to hit his horse) it may well have been deflected by his armour. (The horse wasn't so lucky). If it wasn't deflected and penetrated or found a gap in the armour, then he's hurt and bleeding. Longbow arrows were loosed in massive numbers, and most of the folks fired at were not so well armoured.
Your knight wasn't facing just one arrow or even just one archer he was facing hundreds. How many arrows does it take to get a good mortal hit ?Work out the odds.
:o)

Regards,

Chris Nicole

Chris Nicole