From: Eric Coles <eac42@columbia.edu>
Date: 2006/11/03 Fri PM 01:08:58 CST
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Flying combat

Hi Aidan,

Per Advanced Melee:

"Most flying creatures may attack foes on the ground. This attack
will also be. at -4 DX (the flier is either hovering or taking a
swipe as it flies past; neither is especially accurate) unless the
attacking flier is a small creature (Dragonet or smaller) attacking a
much larger target. Dragon-fire and thrown spells may also be used
from the air without DX-."

"Some fliers will drop rocks or weapons on their foes. Spears and
axes may be dropped at -4 to hit but do +2 damage if they connect."

What I get from the comment in Aerial combat re engagement is that
combatants on the ground cannot engage a flyer except in enclosed
spaces ("The addition of the third dimension does allow fliers to
cross over fires, walls, shadows, and foes where there is enough
room. ").  However I would allow a flyer to engage a foe on the
ground.  And they would both be at -4DX.    Reading the rule above re
dropped spears and axes, it seems that it would be a whole lot more
accurate (as well as damaging) to "drop" the weapon than to "throw"
it.  Coments welcome.

I do think that your javelin-using flyers should seriously consider
the Thrown Weapons talent.  I also usually create flying things as
pretty high DX - with a penalty for fighting on the ground.  And you
are giving me some nasty ideas, I think it's time to introduce the
flying monkeys using net and trident....

Best,

Eric