Re: (TFT) Comments on Chivalry & Sorcery

Hi David. I remember those C&S gaming sessions. Loads of fun.

  I thought your idea to have an assistant GM was wise; it did speed up the gameplay.
  As David's assistant, my job was to keep the combat flowing by doing the table lookups after the die rolls. Do you remember that big poster board we used, Dave? He had the idea to attach all the necessary combat tables to this big poster board (I seem to recall it was maybe 2'x3').  My job was to learn how to use it. With a little practice, I was able to quickly reference the various tables. It did speed up the combat.

  My memories of C&S are of a complex system, but one that was full of depth. We did manage to tap into the depth pretty well, by combining the system with David's house rules.

  My favorite memory of the system was the nuances of employing the "Great Blow" attack, which was devastating to an enemy - but also taxing on endurance. :)

  Tim

"David O. Miller" <davidomiller@verizon.net> wrote:
  Hey everybody. I own C&S (along with most of the supplements) and
played it a little bit in college. It was the single most complicated
RPG I have ever tried to run. The combat was extremely slow and I had
one of the members of our gaming group (care to comment Tim?) help me
to look up the percentages on the several charts needed to complete a
round of combat. Meanwhile I was busy running the scenario and keeping
track of the monsters and NPC's. If I had had to do it all it would
have bogged down tremendously. By having an assistant GM we kept it
going at a fairly good pace. We played a very typical, cliche dungeon.
It was set in the ruins of a small dwarven underground city that had
the lower level taken over by a dragon. The upper levels were full of
orcs and a few other nasties. If I recall the internal logic of the
situation worked pretty well and it was fun for the players to attempt
to figure out some of the back story. It was very combat heavy but I
never pretended that the scenario was anything else but that. After
spending several gaming sessions to finish it we moved on to other,
simpler games systems like RuneQuest. I sometimes raided the
supplements for fun ideas but never returned to the rules. I found out
later that many gaming groups did exactly the same thing. Now this is
not to say that I did not like C&S. In fact I found it to be a blast to
play. It was just very complicated and felt more like a wargame than a
RPG. If I want "extremely" strategic rules I would rather sit down to
play a wargame. I like my RPG's to move at a faster pace than C&S
allowed.

--David O. Miller