Re: [SPAM] (TFT) TFT-style rules

Kirk Woller wrote:

So my question to the group is, what do you think about a "rewrite" of the
TFT rules, in effect bringing them into the 21st century under another
copyright?  Saying the same things in essence, but in other literal words,
to preserve this game system for future generations before it is lost
completely.  How many of you love the way TFT works versus other FRP game
systems and this is what keeps you playing it?  Would the brainiac site, for
instance, host a link to this rewrite of TFT if it were available and if DCG
would not?

I truly would like some input on this from the list as George and I have
struggled on this issue for quite some time, and perhaps hearing from a
segment of the game playing "public" might help us decide which way to go on
this.

Thanks for all that Kirk.

I think a problem with this idea is that with all such strong
personalities we will all fight like cats AND dogs in a sack.

A project like that needs one guiding vision and one, or two guys to
hold to it.

A story. I used to be involved with Chivalry and Sorcery. As a response
to one guy asking why we bothered instead of plugging into the new d20
system that was making such a buzz at the time I created "C&S Essence"
over one weekend.

This is a 4 page (OK I cheat, I use tiny type, but that holds to C&S 1
in a way) fantasy RPG. I tried to do MY TFT with in it in a sense, a
clean simple game that could be fun to play. I expanded on that with
"Vis Imperium VIctoriana" a victorian pulp/mad science rpg (which
someone else did start to convert to TFT).

I did those basically on my own. I then took more contributions for my,
as yet unpublished, pulp SF version. That gets harder. The collaborative
effort means that the pure vision takes a knock as people INSIST on not
knowing instinctively what you meant and you have to figure out how to
answer the questions,accept solutions from outside and explain, in some
cases, why the outside solution doesn't fit.

If you are lucky you will get the occasional inspiration yourself and
you impress everyone with your brilliance (In my case it was reforming
the contested skill use mechanic that simplified it all beautifully from the version in C&S Essence and ViV).

Basically what I am saying is start from scratch with something of your own that does the same job as TFT. Find someone patient, dedicated, clear-sighted and a master of simple language to head the project.

Thank you for volunteering Kirk <grin>

col
PS Cyberboard is an email based method for playing games, but email is so fast you can usually rely on it in real-time with a chat client. For real-time RPGing a mate of mine has GMed people spread across the UK using OpenRPG quite successfully.