RE: (TFT) Exp

Great stuff!
These hit me first off;

> I'm just illustrating how
> in his system levels were _reducing_ the risk, as opposed to representing an
> accumulation of power. One of the results of which would have been that a
> character could be completed or perfected. I guess the only way to kill them
> would be something other than melee combat.

Well I would say that the Samuari warrior class became "neutralized" by the simple expediant of Peace.
If my Character is the King and I'm having dificaulty with the military structure, I could always try to call for Peace.
My model for these kind of structures is an OLD game called Balence of Power by Chris Crawford.
(Mr. Crawford, it'd be wise not to throw down a "wasteing their time" challenge to the likes of me. LOL)
Sid Meyers Civ "happiness" stuff works okay in downtime too.
Anyway my babbeling point is that;
from TFT ITLpg6

DIFFERENT KINDS OF CHARACTER

FIGHTERS

HUMAN TANK
BARBARIAN
LEADER
AMAZON
MERCENARY
BLADEMASTER

OTHER HEROES

THIEF
GADGETEER
PRIEST
ASSASSIN/SPY
SCHOLAR
WOODSMAN
ROGUE
MERCHANT

WIZARDS

MARTIAL WIZARD
TOWNSMAN-WIZARD
WIZARDLY THIEF

All these guys can be perfected.
So if a Fighter is St, a Wizard IQ, and a Thief Dx what would this mean for that "Death Save"?
A Fighter that is perfected in St is still unperfected in IQ & Dx?
Conan?

>       I've always wondered what would happen if RPG's had used this approach
> instead of the endless and eternal power gain they have now. You know the
> bottomless pit of experience point gain. Where one has to kill one million
> average characters to get that next point.

Any kind of "random table" that does not have a backing rational is a hole in your world.
If I wander around THIS area, <insert fav. nussince creature> appears on a roll of....

I use MUDs as models here.
Every single object has it's own serial number so to speak.
Every one.
Each sword.
Each coin.
Each entity.

Now this being a pen and paper game, and ment to be "entertaining", I had to come up with ways of handeling what a computer does, both abstractly and entertainingly.

For the Exp. side, bringing this back to encounters, I use the animals in question gestiation rates and distribution rates to set a population for that region.
Of course regions are FIXED areas.
Because of this the number of entities the region can suport is pretty much fixed.
If your rolling on 2d6 to see what kind of encounter your having then the stuff listed on 6,7 & 8 are gonna occur about half the time. (off the top of my head, never trust my math)
Let's say we're talking Buffalo, U.S., mid-1800's.
If your in the mid-west region I'd think that Buffalo would be about a 7 on the encounter tables outside of town at this time.
Of course if town institutes a hunting policy (NOMIC) then the question is "HOW long does the Buffalo get to stay at 7 before slideing up/down the chart?
This also begs the question "What does it mean to be at 2 rather than at 12 on a encounter table?"
In Podliforki the Vampires are at one end and the Wearwolfs at the other.

I'll shut up now.

> David Michael Grouchy II

Jay
"Would you eliminate evil in the world if you knew that things would be pretty dull afterward? How about just some of it?"
Tom Weller PS. D.