RE: (TFT) Pace of pbem combats.

I did the same with the Tunnels & Trolls PBEM Yahoo Group. However, T&T's
combat rounds represent five minutes, not five seconds. The pluses and
minuses for the party get pooled as do the opponents, the dice are then
rolled and damage apportioned on both sides. Rinse and repeat until there is
a winner. So combat is a little easier to PBEM than TFT where everyone is
acting individually.

Of course, everyone can decide what they intend to do and submit that to the
GM who resolves everything on everyone's behalf using standard TFT combat
rules and some common sense; then simply reports the results in a creative
narrative. No one needs a game board except the GM.

The email (or posting) sequence might go:

-----------------

GM's post: ...the party emerges into a clearing surprising a small Orc
warband comprised of three motley warriors and one large leader. The party,
had been wary of being ambushed themselves, so they all have their primary
weapons readied while the Orc are sitting around a small fire pit belching
after consuming some animal whose gnawed remains crackle on a spit over the
smoking coals. The Orcs are completely take off guard so you all will get
one free attack. Thereafter, the initiative order will be Player 1, 3, 4,
Orcs, and player 2.

Player 1's post: I loose the arrow I have readied at the closet Orc, then
I'll drop my bow and charge in with my cutlass.

Player 2's post: I'm trying to circle round the edge of the clearing to
spread them out and perhaps get in behind them

Player 3's post: I will hit the leader with a lightning bolt as many times
as I can and defend myself with my staff if need be.

Player 4's post: I'll throw my javelin at the closest one and then join the
fray with my short sword.

GM's post: Player 1's arrow whistles through the air hitting a smallest Orc
in the chest with a sickening thud (6+6+6). The impact and surprise is
enough to send him staggering backward landing in the fire pit on his back,
as dead as his dinner (1d6x3=18), sending up a giant plume of sparks and
smoke. Player 3 gestures and mutters to himself and then thrusts his palm
toward the largest Orc, a flash of blue white light accompanied by the smell
of ozone accompanied by the howl of anger mixed pain form the leader of the
warband.......

<<The rest of battle described by the GM who has made all of the rolls and,
perhaps, made a private post or two to various players to ask questions
about their intents. Of course if the situation warrants, the GM will stop
the combat, inform everyone of their relative positions and current status.
Describing the new situation, the GM again asks for the intended actions of
the PCs.>>

GM's concluding post: ... and dead Orcs lie about the ashes of the wrecked
pit in heaps. The adventures are weakened but now whipped; all remain alive
to carry on. The sun is about to rise and the night has been long and
exhausting. What do you want to do now?

----------------

This could easily be concluded in one or two exchanges. Of course the
players may not be satisfied with entrusting everything to the GM, but if
they are, then it would be quick and simple. If strict game sequence is
observed by email, the same four on four encounter might take dozens of
emails and days to complete.

Anyway, that's just the way I envision TFT PBeM working. I've never done it.
I wonder if there are any on list who have. I sure would like to hear how
they managed or have seen games managed.

Ray Rangel
ray.rangel@cox.net
http://xraysvision.blogspot.com/