Re: (TFT) Story

In a message dated 2/13/2008 3:32:06 PM Central Standard Time,
selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com writes:

> [...]

Yes, part of it is that we have different pictures of medieval economics.
You're emphasizing the manoral part with barter and self-production, and I'm
looking more at the trades, crafts, moneylenders, etc. that were also part of the
medieval economy.

But I also don't think it matters to my economic analysis whether people make
their own lamp oil, barter for it, or buy it with coin. If obtaining lamp oil
is less effort than obtaining a magic Light, the people will prefer lamps; if
doing so is more effort, then they'll prefer the Light item. And it doesn't
matter what units the effort is measured in. It doesn't matter what units are
used to measure the relative costs of lamps vs magical lights. Silver coins,
hours of work, bushels of grain... it doesn't matter. You could have a
hunter-gatherer society with no money at all - pure self-production and barter - and
*still* a Light item produced by the local shaman would either be more
cost-effective than burning animal fat in a stone lamp, or not. If it is, then Light
items will be used instead of lamps. If not, then the lamps will be used instead
of Light items. Same analysis as for a society using silver coins.