To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 6:10 AM
Subject: RE: (TFT) Is it an RPG or really a Tactical RPG?

Your impressions are spot on. It all began with simple board games named
"Melee" and "Wizard" then evolved into an RPG. Of the three core products,
"In The Labyrinth" was the last and layered RPG elements on top of the board games and tied them together. That's why, it would be virtually impossible,
IMHO, to play TFT as a pure (or "true") RPG. The essence of TFT is the
encounter on the hex grid with just enough role playing to get from
encounter to encounter. This is true, of course, of any RPG. The others that
you mention focus of the role playing, rather than the board game, so an
encounter can be played without any physical representation at all.