Re: (TFT) Energy decrease in explosions

On Tue, May 6, 2008 5:40 am, dwtulloh61@cox.net wrote:
> Another feature which the TFT combat model doesn't portray.
... Again, you could add these, but then it you
> aren't playing TFT any more.

Yes, TFT abstracts damage to basically single types against a single
total, unless/until you use some of the advanced, optional, or house
rules.

But I wasn't writing about TFT mechanics, I was responding to Jay's
discussion about the mechanics of damage and how that could be used to
inform design of how to compute damage amounts for whatever purpose (new
rules, new weapons, whatever).

I would argue that TFT's design DOES seem to already include in its design
foundation some concepts of mechanics, that it matters how a blow lands,
and different types of attacks. The actual game mechanics may be highly
abstracted, but they're designed to have results somewhat consistent with
actual mechanics.

So for example, I see the random rolls for damage amounts are an
abstraction for the fact that blows may land in different ways even though
the same weapon is being swung with the same ST each time.

PvK