Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #1021

In a message dated 6/9/2008 2:32:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
eiler@gps.caltech.edu writes:

> There is a system of active defenses spelled out in my set of house
> rules, available at the 'TFT-JME' Yahoo group. Briefly, one can try to
> dodge or parry in place of an attack, and there is an additional set
> of simple rules for performing multiple actions per turn that makes it
> possible to both attack and defend in the same turn at a cost in added
> difficulty to perform each task. It is all pretty simple and draws
> directly from the attack resolution rules, so I find it simpler than
> various other options I've seen that develop entirely new resolution
> mechanics. I think it adds a lot to the game by making combat more
> varied and interesting, and giving players the sense that they can
> protect themselves. Interestingly, combatants often (maybe usually)
> choose to just block and hack, as per the normal rules, rather than
> having to roll an extra die for taking multiple actions. This suggests
> to me that the rules I drew up don't really change the balance of the
> game very much.

I've taken the same general approach with my own house rules on parrying: A
character can give up an attack to parry incoming attacks, and can both attack &
 parry each turn at a large penalty (-4 Dx if using two weapons or weapon &
shield, -6 Dx otherwise). But I've also changed the Fencing talent to allow two
attacks (or an attack plus a parry) each turn, and otherwise changed things
around to suit my own preferred style of play. So while my general approach is
the same as yours, the details are different.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow