Re: (TFT) TRAMPLE Questions

I think you're right. The key phrase being, as you point out: "A multi-hex
figure may push back small figures either at the end of its regular move (even
if that move engaged it with them) or by shifting into them while engaged."
That seems pretty clear.

Which, in turn, completely screws up the Advanced Melee rules for Pikes.
The author (Steve Jackson, presumably) goes to great trouble creating a
"special case" for Pikes in order to specifically counter cavalry. And yet the
above completely hamstrings them. Since knocking figures over happens during
the movement phase, it doesn't really matter whether Pikes attack first or
last in the round -- if the figure is knocked over his attack is negated,
anyway. Although, now that I'm looking at Pikes, they only have a Strength
requirement of 12. So a 32 point starting warrior could have a Dex of 12,
which gives it pretty good odds of "saving" against the trample. So maybe this
isn't a complete screw up in the rules, after all.

Apart from the issue with Pikes I describe above, I'm not sure how big an
effect it has on the balance of mounted versus foot. If you've got a lance,
you still can't attack a figure you're trampling (since it's no longer in
front of your horse). So if you charge, you kind of have a decision to
make...do you attack with your lance, stopping short of the trample in order
to gain the 6+2 damage, or do you go through with the trample, potentially
protecting yourself and your mount from the counter-attack, but running the
risk of the figure "saving", sliding over to another hex that is no longer
"directly" in front of you and your mount, and counter-attacking while now
immune to your lance.

As for your last question, I think you accurately point out an ambiguity in
the rules. Technically, the pikeman/polearm-man has "moved". Does that mean
it's no longer receiving a charge? One could probably argue that it does. But
that really shifts the balance of power completely in favor of the charging
horseman, which I don't think is the intent of the rule *at all*. So I would
rule that even if a figure is "pushed" into a different hex it is considered
to have "stood still". Otherwise there is literally no way a pikeman or
spearman could ever receive a charge.

Lastly, I remember reading somewhere that a 2-hex figure is normally treated
as a 1-hex figure or something like that, and the horse is a special case only
when moving more than 8 hexes during its movement phase. I'm not currently
able to find where that was, but does that mean a horse can't trample unless
it's moved more than 8 hexes? For some reason I think it can still trample,
because it's a "multi-hex" figure, but that its engagement rules are the same
as a 1-hex figure. But like I said, I can't currently find that rule.