(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #1031

>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 06:19:37 -0500
>From: David Michael Grouchy II <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: (TFT) Lethal
>
>     Your a GM. Your player makes a character with charisma and new followers.
>They want nothing but characters with new Followers to be their followers.
>Hoping to build a small army with a chain of command.
>

>    How do you rule?
>

>David Michael Grouchy II

Sure, why not? Since the leader will have a target painted on their forehead, it might be quite short lived, or it could be a fun way to run the campaign. Let's just make sure they're bringing in lots of cash or there might be rebellion. Either that or don't forget to roll on the job table for each of them and watch the attrition begin!

Basically, I almost always rule with the players' wishes (and then take revenge later!)

On to one of the other comments, I will say, that nine times out of ten, character death comes from luck (a roll of 3 or 4), whereas monster lethality comes from a combination of player tactics and luck, but that character death happens often enough to have my described effect of detachment. I do think that most games, including TFT, do little really to promote withdraw or surrender, since withdrawing has a roughly 50/50 chance of being ineffective (you lose initiative), much higher if you're slow, and surrender is an invitation to become an unarmed defender. Again, good or bad, it's merely an observation.

On the other hand, a simple mechanic is that most monsters (except the main baddie & his henchman) break off combat if they have taken 5 or more points of damage. That allows you to have the strength necessary for weapons, and still neutralize them quickly. They may not be dead, they're just out of the battle.
Heck, it's even a metaplot if they successfully run away!

- Marc