From: pvk@oz.net
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 2:37 pm
Subject: Re: (TFT) Variants = flavor of the age

I don't quite see what you're suggesting here - your example doesn't go very far
to converting the game to something else, even on a "word value" level; it just
takes one step, where many others would be needed to make a new cohesive sense.
Otherwise we've just got "Reginald the (cough) Crafting based economy has the
highest DX, so er... it, swings its broadsword at Markus the other Crafting
based economy... Later, Srrga the Transportation based economy attempts a
tail-sweep...".

So, one way that could go is you could make a world-domination wargame using the
TFT combat mechanics, though it wouldn't be much of a representational match.

And THAT gets at why TFT appealed to me strongly, while D&D didn't, way back in
the day - it's a much closer and caring representation of cause, effect, and
proportion in low-tech combat and world and adventure design, than D&D, at least
from our way of understanding. It suspended our disbelief for many years...
until we started noticing and being bothered by things like the topics this
board brings up when it suggests rules adjustments; wanting more
unpredictability, options and details; and how powerful/invulnerable the
long-time surviving characters were, especially with a couple of magic items.
(Our long-term TFT games had characters who essentially broke the TFT combat
system, because most of the established sense-making game world (mostly typical
28-to-36-point non-magic types) had essentially no chance to make combat
interesting for them, so much of the world was somewhat broken and not so
interesting.) Then we got more and more interested in making the system more sa!
 tisfying to our more demanding tastes. Then GURPS came and did what we were
doing to TFT, more efficiently, and that kept us satisfied for several more
years, though we also kept tweaking. The only point where the tweaking really
interfered with play was when our main TFT games seemed not a lot of fun to
play, because most of the combats were so predictable unless something really
utlandish happened.

PvK