RE: (TFT) Prone Rule Question

I tend to agree the intention is to not allow it. The devil's advocate argument could be that if you're prone you can turtle under your slung shield. However, hand-to-hand combat is also always "to the rear" and I certainly don't think it's in the spirit of the rule to allow slung shields to protect during a grapple.