Re: (TFT) ?

Jay, we don't disagree on any of what you just wrote. I think I miscommunicated what I was trying to say with my answer to your original Car Wars meets Autoduel enthusiasm. I was just trying to say that some situations don't need a lot of detail because there isn't much to figure out, specifically your example - there isn't an interesting combat overlap between Ogre and Car Wars. (I.e., my comment was just saying, I don't really need to know that a Killer RV has an OGRE defense factor of 0.0000017, and its HE rocket launcher has a 0.00013 chance of having any effect at all even on a direct hit to an OGRE Light Tank.) On the other hand, I have loved the idea of generic world info for gamers since I was first into TFT and running campaigns. I wanted to know about the physical properties of rivers, medieval economics, various details of low-tech travel, or really just about everything that could be found and messed with in a fantasy world. Gaming builds practical interest in every subject. What's largely missing are great sourcebooks for GM's and game designers with numbers and stuff.

So, actually ya, back to the example if I were running a campaign set in the Ogre universe in a place with roads and cars, and characters only had civilian equipment at hand when a battle started up or something, then it could be interesting to have them have to drive to safety, in which case it'd be cool to have some models for traffic conditions during panic, etc., to determine how far they could travel, what techniques they could try to trade risk for speed, what skill rolls would be needed, etc. There should be a game book that covers travel speed and situations when someone in a car wants to get someplace, but there are traffic jams and/or other people trying to evacuate using the same roads. I want the game sourcebook that has cool useful information and ideas for how to game that in an interesting way that's better than I could figure out myself in my head in an hour or two. And 1,000 other subjects.